This story is double geeky goodness. As listeners know, not only are the Two Gay Geeks really into fun geeky pop culture goodness like Star Wars, but we also have an incredible love for all things Disney. That is why we became EXTREMELY giddy when Disney’s D23 and Disney Parks Blog released some exciting new details about Season of the Force—which is coming to both Disneyland Park in Anaheim beginning November 16 and in the coming months to Disney’s Hollywood Studios at Walt Disney World Resort. The intergalactic goings-on will include meet-and-greets with favorite Star Wars characters, an exciting twist on a favorite attraction—and more!
Opening at Disneyland park on November 16 will be:
- Star Wars Launch Bay – This new area will offer opportunities to visit with favorite Star Warscharacters, special exhibits, peeks at the upcoming Star Wars: The Force Awakens and much more.
- Star Tours—The Adventures Continue: This popular attraction will feature a new scene inspired by the upcoming film, Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
- Jedi Training: Trials of the Temple: Coming in December, a twist on the Jedi Training experience will introduce new characters and a new villain from the popular Disney XD series, Star Wars Rebels.
- Hyperspace Mountain: For a limited time, guests will join an X-wing starfighter battle in this reimagining of the classic Space Mountain attraction.
- Other limited-time experiences include:
- An opportunity to revisit favorite scenes from classic Star Wars films at Tomorrowland Theater.
- Special themed food and beverage, merchandise, and entertainment.
Stay tuned for more information about Season of the Force at Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Florida.
Disney Parks is also preparing to take guests to a galaxy far, far away with new Star Wars-themed lands. With groundbreaking scheduled to take place in 2016 for the largest single-land expansions ever, building the new 14-acre lands will be major projects at both Disneyland park in Southern California and Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Florida.
Work to make room for this new land at Disneyland park in California will require the Rivers of America and the Disneyland Railroad to close temporarily. The following will suspend operations at the end of the operating day on January 10:
- The Disneyland Railroad, including all stations
- Attractions along the Rivers of America, including:
- Mark Twain Riverboat and Sailing Ship Columbia
- Pirate’s Lair on Tom Sawyer Island
- Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes
We look forward to all of these attractions reopening in the future, especially The Disneyland Railroad as that a favorite ride of ours!
Elsewhere in Frontierland, Big Thunder Ranch—including Big Thunder Ranch Barbecue, Big Thunder Ranch Petting Farm and Big Thunder Ranch Jamboree—will close permanently at the end of the operating day on January 10.
D23.com will continue to bring you all of the latest news about Season of the Force at Disneyland park and exciting Star Wars experiences coming to Disney Parks in Anaheim and Orlando. May the force be with you!
UPDATED, 5:30 p.m. PT
The Disney Parks Blog just provided an update with information about Star Wars Launch Bay, where you can meet and greet favorite Star Wars characters—and even choose between the Dark Side and Darth Vader himself or the Light Side, where Chewbacca will be on hand for a wookiee greeting.
The Dark Side Gallery will showcase stormtrooper armor and Sith lightsabers, while the Light Side Gallery will feature Rebel flight helmets and the lightsabers of Jedi Knights.
Props from the upcoming film, Star Wars: The Force Awakens will be on display in the Preview Gallery, famous starships and their pilots from throughout the Star Wars saga will be docked in the Starship Gallery, and you can play the latest games from the Star Wars galaxy, including Disney Infinity 3.0 in the Star WarsGame Center.
Coming in December, experience a twist on the Jedi Training experience with Jedi Training: Trials of the Temple. You’ll encounter new characters and a new villain from the popular Disney XD series, Star Wars Rebels.
Star Tours—The Adventures Continue will feature a new scene inspired by the upcoming film, Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
And for limited-time experiences, climb aboard Hyperspace Mountain, a reimagined Space Mountain attraction, in which guests will join an X-wing starfighter battle. The Tomorrowland Theater will let you revisit favorite scenes from classic Star Wars films, plus new themed food will ensure that all of your senses experience the Season of the Force to the fullest!
Season of the Force begins November 16 at Disneyland park in California, and as new details are announced we will be sure to share them with all of you!