The Two Gay Geeks had the pleasure to chat with MJ Lyons, author of Murder at the Worlds Fair. Murder at the Worlds Fair is his debut novel and we chat about how he got into writing and also about his “day” job managing the Glad Day Bookshop in Toronto. We also take a few side quests into opera, Golden Girls, and other stuff. This was such a fun interview.
About MJ Lyons
MJ LYONS is a writer, game maker and bookstore professional. He manages the bookstore side of Glad Day Bookshop, the world’s oldest surviving LGBTQ bookstore and lives in Toronto, Canada with his goblin of a cat. Murder at the World’s Fair is his debut novel.
About Murder at the Worlds Fair
The year is 1893 and airships cloud the skies over the bustling metropolis of Toronto, the Dominion of Canada’s crown jewel. The city is set to host the “New World Exhibition” thanks in no small part to the work of two fantastical inventors. On the day of the grand opening, young Norwood Quigley, scion of a world-famous airship magnate, stumbles onto the scene of a murder; the victim: a Prussian Ambassador; the perpetrator: a Chinese assassin, or so the powers-that-be say. Concerned by the would-be assassin’s claim of innocence and his assumed guilt by higher powers, Norwood is thrown into a grand intrigue that hinges on Toronto’s world fair.
MURDER AT THE WORLD’S FAIR soars into Canada’s summer reads just in time for the Pride season. Chock-full of LGBTQ characters and diverse themes this inventive debut examines Canada’s historical relationship to colonization and imperialism, all through the lens of a page-turning, steam-powered, clockwork contraption.
Purchase the book here:
From Renaissance, publisher: Murder at the World’s Fair | Renaissance
In our second segment we have a little thing we prepared in commemoration of the opening of Star Wars Land at Disneyland. We also highlight recent articles posted to the tggeeks.com in the past week. As always we have our birthdays and we have the ever popular feedback segment.
We welcome your feedback. Please, let us know what you think. Good or bad, we want to know and you could receive a shoutout in the feedback segment. Thank you for listening, we really do appreciate you taking time out of your day to spend with us.
Our YouTube channel is audio only:
Show Notes / Links:
- TG Geeks Episode 221
- TG Geeks Episode 223
- Duet Launches a Free Support Group for LGBTQ+ Family Caregivers Beginning June 6
- John Wick Chapter 3 Parabellum: Ballet of Death and Beauty
- Dr. Zombie – Monster Family Physician #50
- Five Questions With… Kyle Card
- Ben’s “Gay” Breakdown | The Falls: Covenant of Grace
- Fright Rags Official Apparel for Hammer Films, The Omen, and Happy Death Day
- Action-Packed Debut YA Steampunk Murder Mystery Reimagines 1893 Toronto | by MJ Lyons
- Ma: Zero Scares | Andrea’s Angle
- Geek Girl #5 Kickstarter Launches | Interview with Sam Johnson, Creator
- Five Questions With… Brian Kirst
- TGGEEKS.com Presents An Exclusive First Look At The Acclaimed Queer Short Film MORNING AFTER
- The Arkle Times Post Dispatch News – The Human Arkle on Twitter @arkle — Be sure to take a look at Arkle’s other venture: Arkle Studios presents Shameless Cash Grab
- Special thanks go the Facebook Group moderators of “Gay Geeks Afterhours” for encouraging us to share our content there, and there URL is www.facebook.com/groups/gaygeeksafterhours/.
- Here’s a special shout out to “The Gay Geek” for graciously allowing us to post our episodes in their Facebook group www.facebook.com/groups/thegaygeek. And a special Thank You to Jeremiah Reeves, the moderator, for being such a great guy.
Things to know from The Two Gay Geeks:
Be sure to read the Privacy / Terms and Conditions Of Use. And Please, Play Nice.
You are Important To Us
We welcome your suggestions. Let us know what you like or don’t like or if you have an opinion or comment on an article or the show. We’re available by email, Facebook, or call our listener line at 469.TG Geeks (469.844.3357). Let us know if there is something we should be watching and why, and we may just give you a shout-out in a future episode. We will not publish or use your email address to spam you. If you have a podcast or know of a podcast we should be aware of, please use the contact form and send us the information and we will take a look.
Support Independent Creators
As you know we are huge supporters of Independent Creators and not just in film. TG Geeks supports any kind of creative outlet that’s independent in nature. We know we’re always pushing something, but we’re passionate supporting indie artists. We ask that you to take a look at the independent creators we talk about and any others you may discover on your own and give a helping hand. It doesn’t have to be much, but every little bit helps in the scheme of things.
TG Geeks are members of the Amazon affiliate program. This means we link to items or place ads on the site) to help defray the cost of this venture. We would appreciate if you could at least click on an ad every so often – or follow a link to a product we’re excited to about — so Amazon knows we’re doing our best. It would be much appreciated. Also, if you happen to see something or want to buy something from Amazon, click through one of our searches and buy it that way. We get a small commission if you do. Thank You.