The Two Gay Geeks 🏳️🌈 have a chat with the artist known as Gilead. We were fortunate enough to get an interview at CoKoCon 2019 because Joseph Gaxiola set up the time for us. Thank you Joseph. Gilead shares how he got into art and where he came from in this fascinating interview. Have a listen and we hope you enjoy this as much as we did.
Growing up in the magical fairyland of Prescott, AZ—located in the Bradshaw Mountain range just west of Cimmeria, east of Barsoom and near the mines of Moria—Gilead spent his youth sketching the dragons, goblins, and fairies who always surrounded him but whom, sadly, most other people couldn’t see.
He continues to travel between worlds to draw and paint on location in such places as Narnia, Hyborea and Central Arizona, usually after convincing the most beautiful women of those realms to take their clothes off for him. It’s a tough gig.
“Fantasy and science fiction are so strongly associated with the illustration of books that it confuses people to meet a fantasy artist who isn’t an illustrator, but I got my fill of commercial art in the sign business. My style is realism with a heavy dose of whimsy. It’s all in good fun. I don’t take myself too seriously; I just like to make cool pictures.”
Now a retired sign painter and something of an environmentalist, Gilead likes to paint on recycled materials such as lumber, cabinet doors, and old signs. “What I do take seriously is the environment and ways to make it better. My current focus is mostly on the social and environmental impact of making art with recycled materials.”
Find Gilead and his art here:
In our second segment, we chat about the upcoming Season of Arizona Opera. We run down the list of operas and when they are being presented. We also highlight recent articles posted to the tggeeks.com in the past week. We also chatted about Raising Buchanan in our birthday segment and as we were recording, it was posted that the film will open at Harkins 14 Shea on September 27. More info to follow. As always we have our birthdays and we have the ever-popular feedback segment.
We welcome your feedback. Please, let us know what you think. Good or bad, we want to know and you could receive a shoutout in the feedback segment. Thank you for listening, we really do appreciate you taking time out of your day to spend with us.
Our YouTube channel is audio only:
Show Notes / Links:
- TG Geeks Episode 237
- TG Geeks Episode 238
- Dr. Zombie – Monster Family Physician #65
- Ben’s “Gay” Breakdown | Analysis Paralysis is a therapist’s romantic comedy dream come true!
- Andrea’s Angle | IT Chapter Two: Friendship is Everything
- Ben’s Breakdown | Take a surprising look into hi-tech VR startups with Empathy, Inc.
- From Orion Pictures | Gretel & Hansel Trailer
- News Sushi #79: Morsels of News from Japan and Beyond
- Movie Review: The Goldfinch
- Five Questions With… Rob Teun
- Ben’s “Gay” Book Breakdown | A look at sentience and artificial intelligence in Brobots.
- Arizona Opera
- Raising Buchanan – Movies, Film
- Raising Buchanan World Premiere at Phoenix Film Festival | Filmmaker Interview
- Phoenix Film Festival | Raising Buchanan
- The Arkle Times Post Dispatch News – The Human Arkle on Twitter @arkle — Be sure to take a look at Arkle’s other venture: Arkle Studios presents Shameless Cash Grab
- Special thanks go the Facebook Group moderators of “Gay Geeks Afterhours” for encouraging us to share our content there, and there URL is www.facebook.com/groups/gaygeeksafterhours/.
- Here’s a special shout out to “The Gay Geek” for graciously allowing us to post our episodes in their Facebook group www.facebook.com/groups/thegaygeek. And a special Thank You to Jeremiah Reeves, the moderator, for being such a great guy.
Things to know from The Two Gay Geeks:
Be sure to read the Privacy / Terms and Conditions Of Use. And Please, Play Nice.
You are Important To Us
We welcome your suggestions. Let us know what you like or don’t like or if you have an opinion or comment on an article or the show. We’re available by e-mail, Facebook, or call our listener line at 469.TG Geeks (469.844.3357). Let us know if there is something we should be watching and why, and we may just give you a shout-out in a future episode. We will not publish or use your email address to spam you. If you have a podcast or know of a podcast we should be aware of, please use the contact form and send us the information and we will take a look.
Support Independent Creators
As you know we are huge supporters of Independent Creators and not just in film. TG Geeks supports any kind of creative outlet that’s independent in nature. We know we’re always pushing something, but we’re passionate about supporting indie artists. We ask that you to take a look at the independent creators we talk about and any others you may discover on your own and give a helping hand. It doesn’t have to be much, but every little bit helps in the scheme of things.
TG Geeks are members of the Amazon affiliate program. This means we link to items or place ads on the site to help defray the cost of this venture. We would appreciate it if you could at least click on an ad every so often – or follow a link to a product we’re excited to about — so Amazon knows we’re doing our best. It would be much appreciated. Also, if you happen to see something or want to buy something from Amazon, click through one of our searches and buy it that way. We get a small commission if you do. Thank You.